Latest Benefits News
LOCAL COUNCIL TAX REDUCTION SCHEME - PROPOSED BANDED REDUCTION SCHEME 2020
HAVE YOUR SAY
Making Life Simpler!
If you are of working age, we are planning to make changes to the way in which your Local Council Tax Reduction (sometimes called Council Tax Benefit) works and would like to hear you views on our plans.
We cannot change the rules for pensioners but for others, the current system would be replaced by a simple Banded Discount Scheme with your reduction being calculated from a simple table.
In the future you will be able to claim on line. But don’t worry if you find this difficult, we will be able to help you.
We will cut down on the amount of information that you have to send to us with your claim.
Will I have to pay more Council Tax?
The vast majority of claimants will receive the same level of reduction as now. Many will actually get more help, particularly families with children and people employed in low paid jobs. Inevitably a few people may be worse off. We will be looking at those in detail to make sure that the reductions are correct and are affordable.
What is Changing?
The new system is different from the current scheme in the following ways:
- Child Benefit will not be counted as income in your calculation,
- Working claimants will be able to keep more of their earnings without increasing their Council Tax bills,
- No deductions will be made for non-dependants living with you.
- More disabled people will now have their discounts increased.
- For Universal Credit claimants, we will usually be able to calculate your entitlement from information provided to us by DWP.
The cut off for people with £6,000 or more in savings will now apply to all working aged people – we think this is fairer.
How Do I get Involved?
For more information and to take part in the consultation, please follow this link;