There will be a change to the recycling service from April 2022. We will require that paper and card be placed in a reusable blue bag and be presented with the blue bin on collection day. As pictured.
The blue bin will then only be used for plastic bottles, tubs and trays, tins and cans and glass bottles and jars. Below are some FAQs that explain why we are making this change.
Blue bag questions
Why are we changing the service?
1. The market for recycled material has become more focused on quality. By collecting paper and card separately we can ensure better quality material.
2. Greater value will also be achieved from the mixed paper and card, as it will not be contaminated with other materials. In addition, by recycling the right items in the blue bin it means the Council will also not be recharged for rejected/contaminated loads at the Materials Recycling Facility.
Why a bag and not another bin
1. From the experience of other districts in Staffordshire (Newcastle and Stafford) as well as other local authorities across the country that use bags for paper and card, we have learnt that the system works well.
2. Before we could introduce the new service, the proposal went through the normal democratic process and was approved by the council’s cabinet.
3. We did consider another bin but felt residents may not have space for another bin. The bag can be stored in the bin to save space.
What if I find the bag heavy to move, what do I do?
The bag can either be carried or wheeled in the bin (if there is room) to the kerbside. If you are regularly finding that the blue bag is too heavy, then an additional blue bag can be requested.
How big is the bag?
The bag has an 80 Litres capacity (a bin is 240 capacity).
Where should I store the bag
The bag can be stored in the blue bin. Plastic bottles, glass bottles/jars tins and cans can be stored in the bottom of the bin with the bag on top. It can also be presented for collection this way.
I am going to need more than one blue bag, what do I do?
Before ordering another blue bag, please try using the one that you have – you will be surprised at the amount it can hold providing all cardboard is flattened. If after a couple of collections, you find that one blue bag is not sufficient please contact us to arrange for an additional bag to be delivered.
We can only provide a maximum of two bags per property
Will the bag(s) blow away and cause litter
The bag is weighted with a 500-gram weight and has a Velcro fastening flap. After emptying the crew will leave the bag tucked under the lid of the bin.
Are other councils doing the same?
All neighboring authorities in South Staffordshire are also moving to a two-stream collection service. That is South Staffs, Lichfield & Tamworth and East Staffs. They are making the change for the same reason as ourselves and at the same time.
Are you planning to charge for the garden waste service?
There are no plans to charge for the garden waste service
Are there any other changes planned?
There are no other waste service changes currently planned.
Why does the calendar only go up the March?
We wanted to be sure that there will not need to be any route/day changes when the new service starts. We also wanted to launch the service with new up to date guidance/information.
Last Updated: 22/11/2021