Friends of Cannock Chase
The present group of Friends of Cannock Chase came into being in 1947 as a purely voluntary group.
The main aims were then to campaign against extension of military use and quarrying. We now also aim to preserve natural landscape for public enjoyment and to protect wildlife including the centuries-old wild herd of Fallow Deer.
What we do
• We monitor all aspects of activity on Cannock Chase.
• We do Conservation work giving practical and some financial assistance as necessary.
• We work closely with local landowners, local authorities and other users to achieve the greatest protection for the Chase for future generations.
• Funds raised go towards publications to increase public awareness of the value of the Chase.
• We keep an eye on the Chase through an Annual Programme of walks and visits.
• We have a Photographic Group.
• There is a periodical newsletter for members.
• Publicity releases are sent to the media.
What we have done
• Assisted in mapping footpaths for definitive map of the Chase.
• Helped prepare a memorandum on protection of Chase Deer and provide as necessary winter food and salt licks.
• We helped with the memorandum against routing the M6 across the Chase.
• As an independent body we liaise with the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Unit, County and Local Councils, Forestry Commission and other local conservation groups.
• We are involved in replacing native broadleaf trees, replanting hybrid bilberry (Chase berry), scattering heather seeds and general heathland management.
• We have provided bird and bat boxes.
Would you like to help us by
• Keep to footpaths for your own safety (mining subsidence)
• Keep dogs on leads and under control (wildlife disturbance)
• Take litter home (fire risk and danger to wildlife)
When Horse Riding
• Keep to bridle paths and respect other users of the Chase
• Respect all other users of the Chase and warn of your approach
• Remember riding through the undergrowth is dangerous and causes damage
• There are all ability cycle routes and adventure trails from Birches Valley Forest Centre
• Park in designated car parks and secure your vehicle
• Always guard against fire
• Enjoy your visit !
Please join us.
For further information please call:
Mrs B Pace – 01543 579354
Mr T Warburton – 01785 665440
or visit our website at: www.friendsofcannockchase.btck.co.uk
Last Updated: 01/09/2015